Saturday, April 7, 2012

When is it time to replace Gefilte Fish?

It's Passover this week and my family sat down to our traditional meal of chicken soup with matzo balls, chopped liver, gefilte fish etc.
To me those dishes ARE passover. But those dishes are also Rosh Hashana.
What I mean to say is that they define the holidays to me. I don't care a lick about the prayers but the food is as important as turkey is for Thanksgiving.
BUT not everyone shares my thoughts.
My sister and son want to modernize our menu. They're tired of the old tried and true. For them the holidays would survive a menu change, but I am a hold out.
I once heard that smells trip memories, but so do foods, and to me the taste of sweet gefilte fish or dill laced chicken soup with big fluffy matzo balls bring me back to a table I sat at with two parents and five siblings.
I fear the replacement would weaken that memory.
I think I would be willing to bypass all the other dishes, but not the chicken soup or gefilte fish.
I'll give it a try for the next holiday.
But between you and me, I wish I didn't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment